Sunday, February 17, 2008

Berachos 4a - Part 3

Rav Ashi offers a 3rd answer to why Moshe Rabbeinu said "k'chatzos" if he really knew exactly when midnight was:

Answer # 3: It was actually the midnight of the 13th going into the 14th and Moshe said to the Jews that Hashem says that tomorrow at midnight, like right now, I will go out into Mitzrayim.

The Gemara now analyzes a pasuk in Tehillim 86. In the pasuk King David states that he is a chassid. Levy and R' Yitzchak argue about how to interperet this pasuk:

Opinion # 1: King David says to Hashem, "Master of the Universe, Am I a not a chassid? For all the kings of the east and the west sleep three hours into the day and "I awaken at chatzos to praise you" (Tehillim 119).

Opinion # 2: King David says to Hashem, "Master of the Universe, Am I not a chassid? For all the kings of the east and the west sit in groups of honor, while I sit with my hands in blood and afterbirth in order to make a woman tehorah for her husband. And not only that, but everything I do I decide with Mephiboshes my Rebbi. And I say to him, "Meshiboshes my Rebbi, have I judged properly? Have I been mechayev properly? Have I declared innocence properly? Have I been metaher properly? Have I been metamei properly?" And I was never embarrassed.

R' Yehoshua the son of R' Iddi asks:

what is the meaning of the pasuk in Tehillim 119 which says regarding King David "And I will speak your testaments before kings and I am won't be embarrassed"?

Tanna:

His name wasn't Mephiboshes but, rather, Ish Boshes. Why was he called Mephiboshes? Because he embarrassed King David in halacha. Therefore David merited and Kilav descended from him.

And R' Yochanan says:

His name wasn't really Kilav, but Daniel. And why was he called Kilav? Because he embarrassed Mephiboshes in halacha. Shlomo in his wisdom said about him, "Son, if your heart is wise let my heart also rejoice" (Mishlei 23) and "My wise son and my heart is happy and I will respond with a sharp thing" (Mishlei 27).

No comments: